Tuesday, August 28, 2007

lightning storms

Recently, we've been having some severe thunderstorms in Kanazawa. Actually, it's very unusual, because thunderstorms are more associated with winter in this region. The first time it happened, I stood on my balcony watching the lighting behind the clouds. It was kind of magical — this pink, red, blue flashing behind the grey clouds. Then the thunder struck and I was deafened for a moment. It felt like the whole world shook.

This morning again, there was a thunderstorm. I was woken up by a continuous rumbling sound, like the sky had an upset stomach. Then the loudest crack of thunder. These strikes would continue to occur and eventually, I heard sirens, and then some people yelling outside. I got up to check things out, since it seemed like this whole scene was unfolding outside my apartment. But by that time the rain had started to fall so densely, that it was difficult to see anything except the red rooftop next to my house.

When I went back to bed, I heard the emergency broadcasting system come alive. I heard "Kanazawa citizens, don't panic! Kra-KA-koooom!! ...rain. Please stay inside and be careful." And then some tones you might hear in an airport or train station.

No comments: