Monday, August 20, 2007

interlude

I was planning to do a post a day, but conveeeeeniently my keyboard broke. So yesterday I bought a new one! Yay! this one is much cooler and also has Japanese characters on it. (Kinda motivates me to type some new blog posts!)

Anyway, I was walking through a part of the city I hardly ever go. and I found a series of rice paddies tucked in between buildings and streets. It`s very Japanese to combine city and farming like that. I`ve even seen that kind of thing in Tokyo!

When you walk on the sidewalk next to the paddies, you can hear the slush slush of water rushing beneath and filling the fields.

The thing is, it really made me think about time. I stood there looking at this beautiful green — total green. And I realised that it`s been a year since I started blogging. Time has gone by so fast, but it`s not until I look at nature that I fully understand this. When I took this picture, I was surrounded by the cicadas` song, music that represents the heat of summer. If heat could make a noise, it would be the buzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz of cicadas.

It was a beautiful day, though. And it ended in the perfect summer moment. I felt overwhelmed by happiness sitting on the beach at a table, eating nasi goreng with some friends, while fireworks fizzled and popped above our heads. It felt both tropical and Victorian, like a Seurat painting.

1 comment:

Captain Gavman said...

Gotta love the Nasi Goreng - Malayasian fried spicy rice with egg on top.