Thursday, August 09, 2007

the lizard king!

In one of my last posts I mention an encounter I had with a gecko on a Samurai wall in Japan. Well, the level of co-incidence is insane! Flying in from the north, I looked down on the country side, scouring the landscape for tell-tale signs of where I am on a map. The country looks a bit like a nicer version of Mordor. I mean, it's all dry and there's litte plant life. And from the plane you could see these MASSIVE volcanic cores that jut out from the earth. Like evil spires, I say! Anyway, the Brisbane city is built around a river, which looks JUST LIKE a gecko from the sky! It's truly unbelievable. I'll try to find an arial picture for you...later. (hehehe enjoying the spring again! Check you suckers latah!)

But Mordor is an overstatement. This place seems to be a strange mengelmousse of Canada and South Afrika. The cities remind me of Canadian cities, with their victorian architecture overgrown with the vines and roots of modern skyscrapers. But the savanna is so Afrika. The people are also mixed like this. There's still an African idea of macho-ism, but they are safety-focused, and make rules important. And also, they are clean!

Anyways, right now I'm sitting in my aunt's house. I met my cousins who I've never seen. They're cute! And felt what extended family feels like -- a feeling I've forgotten. I have no idea what my plans are for today, but I will start doing the seriously touristy stuff on the weekend.

By the way, I forgot to bring my camera's cable so I can't load any pictures. Doh!

1 comment:

Captain Gavman said...

Man, that sounds so cool. Keep us up to date. I'm amazed at how round the world is.