Thursday, October 19, 2006

natto and the ocean

Whenever I find myself living far away from home, I always end up beside the sea. When I lived in Scotland, I never took enough advantage of that fact. I mean, I do remember some encounters with seals, going for a dip in the icy-cold North Sea in March, as well as sitting on the cliffs and thinking about the vastness of the waters.

Anyways, I've made myself a promise to enjoy the sea here. So here is yet another picture of the sunset over the waves. I stood there, on the beach in a shirt and tie, amazed at the redness of the sun. The photo is incapable of showing the true red. See, here, if you ask a child to draw a picture of the sun, they would scribble a red blob. Originally, I thought it was just because of their flag. But Japanese people really think of the sun as red...........And maybe for good reason!

Also, I've caught my first Japanese cold. It's been more than I year since I've been sick. First I thought that the viruses here were weak, but now I'm pretty sure that the Japanese diet can make a man immortal. I eat a lot of seaweed here and even eat this thing called natto. It's notorious for being hated by foreigners of all kinds. Basically, it's fermented soy beans. They're very sticky and smell a bit of alcohol. But I swear to you, if you eat natto 3 times a week, it will make you immortal! So I blame myself for skipping my natto these last few weeks.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My imagination fills in what is left out by the camera and it must have been cool.

Its weird that you've been to two of the world's island kingdoms, both times along the coast. What's next Madigascar?

Anonymous said...

Hey, I wrote a story once about God being a red-eyed Cyclops! (really, erin? no!)

That's cool. I like the image of you on the beach in a shirt and tie! It makes me think of "Bartleby the Scrivener."

Adding to my "To Do List" for 2007: "see (an) ocean".

Gavin: Hahaha!! Are you reading Daniel Gilbert?! Nice touch-ups on the site, by the way! Are you going to sell any other artwork online too?