Tuesday, October 10, 2006

documentary of (almost) conquering Haku-san


So this weekend I climbed Haku-san with Michiyo and Remi. It was an insane experience. And I definitely want to do it again. This time I want to be as prepared as the Power Rangers we saw on the mountain.
We arrived hungry and Michiyo was the only one who brought food: 2 pieces of bread. And so we start the climb...
This is the second pitstop. A place we hated on the way down because it took forever to get down there.
On the way up, we saw the Power Rangers. These people were HardCore...with a capital 'H' and a capital 'C'. We let them pass us so I could take a picture. Then we passed them again. I think they thought we were crazy because we weren't wearing gortex, rain-proof, wind-proof, colourful uniforms.

Third interview was at a lookout in the clouds.


About 5 kilos farther we realised why they were wearing those exploration gear. We saw the first signs of snow, and soon it was slow going over icy trails, skirting treacherous precipices. Then is started hailing, then snowing. But we were determined. Gloveless....and in running shoes.....but determined.
I guess this is where we realised we were ill-equipped. Michiyo reaches the plateau and we rejoice....Remi has a cigarette in celebration. The next part is the serious challenge, though. The peak of the mountain is in sight and the winds and snow has picked up. This is what we Canadians would call a blizzard.
Luckily, we arrive before we freeze to death. The storm was really getting bad and it was hard to see more than a few meters in front of you.

Interview 4: the lodge
That night, I needed to pee so badly, but decided that I'd rather stay awake under the blankets than go out in the freezing cold. It was a long night, but I got up around 5am to relieve myself -- just in time for the sunrise. So I woke up Remi and Michiyo to get this deed done.


We were freezing, waiting for the sunrise. When it stuck it's head out and I snapped a few pics with my gloveless, frozen hands, I looked at Remi and said: "Ok. Let's go."
But Michiyo was adamant that we stay. She told us that she wanted to enjoy it. So I guess, there on the mountain, we discovered that watching a frozen sun rise over the clouds, is really just another metaphor for sex. Us guys were like, "Ok. We saw it. Now, let's go back to bed." While, the girl, on the other hand, didn't feel just satisfied with the peaking crest of light. She wanted to see the completion of the sunrise and enjoy herself while doing it. So there you have it folks! Nothing really changes. ever.

Interview 6: the list
We also forgot to mention gloves, extra socks, and food for two days. But the whole experience was great and I definitely want to do it again. And so I'll leave you with this final tidbit of footage.

5 comments:

Allison said...

Ah ha Graeme! That was awesome, great job on video-diary, really felt all that raw emotion. Made this chilly morning in King City feel a little toasty. Been in touch with Ryan, he seemed to think you were on your way back to us soon?

Anonymous said...

well, you almost made it.
Those are some funny interviews. You deserve a prize for being the most unprepared. But i heard that a woman did it the next day in high-heels and a dress. She was talking on a cell phone the whole way up, and even smoked while climbing.

So no cigar! too bad, gaijin buddy.

sQ*eeky said...

ey, Allison!

Yeah, I'm coming back for new years. So I hope to see you then! Otherwise we can get togethr later and bun a j for old times sake. Since I'm jonesing bigtime! See ya soon, my favourite allison with two 'l's!

Anonymous said...

Michiyo's really cute!

sQ*eeky said...

holy crap! Michiyo got a comment on my blog and she doesn't even use the internet!

Damn! I wish I was that cute!