Thursday, August 10, 2006

swimming in the milky way

A few days ago I went to the beach for the first time in Japan.
With the heat being nearly unbearable after the rainy season, it was packed with people. The air smelled of barbeque, and the sound of waves could be heard behind the squeals of children. But it was packed brimful!

Anyway, we decided to find a quieter spot and started driving along the coast. A long, white beach caught my eye in the distance and we made for it. Time was ticking by, and people were packing up when we got there. I desperately wanted to go swimming and jumped in after finishing my beer. It turns out that we were in a natural bay and a sandbank stretched a good kilometer out into the sea. So I swam...

After I tired and thought I was in deeper water, I stood up and noticed that I could still stand. But my feet touched something unlike I've ever felt before. It wasn't sand. It wasn't fish. It wasn't rock. So I dived down and noticed about a hundred starfish all over the bottom. I brought a few up with me. Across the sea, a white sun was setting, turning the water a polished silver, sparkling with waves here and there.

fig 2: a new star appears above the horizon

Touchy little guy, eh!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Those could be your best defense against ninja stars!

Anonymous said...

Actually, I was joking around and whipped one like a ninja star and it skipped off the water like 7 times!