Monday, August 07, 2006

ichido

Well, this is my first post...

I have finally decided to enter into the blogger world. More for myself than for anyone else. But this is an attempt to start writing regularly again. It was very difficult to make the decision to move to a digital medium -- seeing how I love ink and paper so much! -- but the move was finalised by a wicked, little digicam I bought from a store the other day.

And, if I may say so myself, digital is the crack-cocaine of the technology world. I understand why I resisted for so long, but I must say I enjoy the ease and digital-'high' I get from playing with my camera anywhere, anytime, anyplace.

Well...............so it begins. I will try to update this everyday...or every two days, depending on many factors, including my sobriety among other things.

And with this first post, I will leave you with a panorama of Notto Peninsula, a stretch of land north-west of Kanazawa that points like a giant middle finger towards Korea. It is a little like the Northern Ontario of Japan, packed with trees, old-fashioned cottages, and mostly old people.



The Japanese believe that these two rock formations are lovers that fell from Heaven into the sea. They are worshipped as quasi-gods........but maybe 'nature spirits' is a better translation. So the shrine atop the big, high-arched foot is connected to the smaller island by a giant rope. The rope forms a sort of 'tori' or gateway for the gods. If you look closely you'll see lightning bolts hanging from it. This represents the messenger of the gods.

It was truly beautiful. Enjoy!

No comments: