Monday, August 28, 2006

the maa-maa phase

Well, on Saturday we had a summer party. It was very fun. Everyone wore yukata , like summer kimonos -- including me! It's like parading around in a bathrobe with an incredibly elaborate, fancy sash. I bought the biggest size they had, Double L. And it was still a little too short for me. But it was easily forgiven because I there is no gaijin size here.

Anyways, the party was great. It was a little confessional and more than one person revealed their feelings of love. (Quote of the day: "I love you but let's never talk about it again.") As for me, my Japanese has finally improved enough that I can have very small conversations. YAYYYYYYY!!!!!! About time! I was very surprised, because recently I've hit the second plateau and find that I can understand a lot of what's going on. I am no longer saying "Watashi wa heta desu". 'Heta' means unskilled, which is what I've been saying for the past 5 months. I'm now in my 'maa-maa' phase. My 'so-so' phase.

I went home when the sun came up and had to take off my wooden sandals. They are fun to wear but today it feels as if I got a nasty sunburn on the webbing between my biggest toes. Walking home, I felt the roughness of the pavement under my feet and remembered how tough my feet were when I was a young pup in Africa. It was as if I had leather soles.

Really it was one of the most fun nights I've had here. Long live the Summer!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

pictures from the party???

Anonymous said...

pictures from the party?

sQ*eeky said...

Pictures are coming. I left my camera charger in Fukuoka and gotta get a new one. But I'll post some once my friends send me some.

Anonymous said...

Hey!!!! FUN times in Japan. I love hearing your updates...

My update is that I'm moving to Toronto tomorrow.
The Creed building on Davenport and Bedford. I'm very excited.

Look forward to hearing more!
Kelly Salmond

Anonymous said...

hi graeme.
I've got a question about gadgets - what's the latest craze in japan? I also enjoy reading your stories. Can you tell me something - are murder mystery novels popular among the young, or the older folks?
-cyrus

sQ*eeky said...

Cyrus,

There has been a recent craze about murder mysteries. A recent manga called 'Death Note' kicked it off and it's since evolved to a full blown paraphenalia. There has been a movie and they even came out with a soft drink that's SUPPOSED TO taste like death!

the manga is pretty cool actually. Done in a very dark, clean style.