Sunday, August 20, 2006

canals

After my (day)trip to Kyushu, I've realised that I really like Kanazawa. It's not as big as Fukuoka, or as exciting as Osaka, but it has it's own unique flavour. Maybe because it's more traditional, or it has a very old history of being different, Kanazawa's people are quiet shy, but they warm up to you quickly and then turn out to be the most interesting bunch of them all!

So, today, walking along the canal, a man yelled "Excuse me!" I knew he was talking to me instinctively -- call it gaijin instinct. He wanted to know where the Samurai house is. The conversation was so brief that I'm sure, neither one of us could determine the other's accent.

Beside me the canal was flowing fast. Recently, I've begun to use it to predict what kind of day I would have. Judging by its speed, flow, force, sound, etc.

The two canals are not linked, because sometimes one is low and slow, tranquilly dribbling over rocks, while the other one is raging and seems to be overflowing. It's eerily accurate how you can predict your day according to the bowel movements of a river.

fig.4: the canal near my house

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think I would like Kanazawa...

Did you know that Johnny Carson was shy? He said that he was so quiet in school and he would get accused all the time of being a snob. Sad story, really.

A lot of comedians are "shy". Isn't that a riot?

"Still waters run deep... yes they do...ah-ah-ah, yeah!" (Thanks, Aretha Franklin and chorus)

Ah... it's starting to make sense that you're a Scorpio... all the water talk...??! ah-ha, ah-ha!

Thanks for finding my car. I forgot where I parked it! Now if I can just find the keys... Mr. Myagi is gonna have my *expletive*!

ps--Have you been trying to send me telepathic messages lately? I just have this weird feeling... I'm sure I'm out to lunch...

Benjamin Tiesma said...

The canals. Indeed. In my brief Kanazawan tenure, I too felt the same connection to the canals. Its flow whether before, after or regardless of the fact, can influence your day.

I really enjoyed K-town (the Japanese chapter). I understand how graemes needle could fit into such grooves.

sQ*eeky said...

Thanks for the comment Benj!

when you were here we really showed Kanazawa some Gaijin moves! but next time we'll sing Karaoke. I heard you do a wicked Elvis impersonation.