Friday, March 23, 2007

culture tip #9

For the longest time I wondered why some cars have these stickers on them.
It turns out that they are 'leaves'. This one is an old leaf, and it means that an old person drives this car.

On the other hand, this one is a young leaf, which means a young driver is behind the wheel.

Personally, I think it's a kind of poetic way to describe the age gaps...and the frustration that they can cause on the road. I once saw an old man, back in and out of a parking space 7 times because he couldn't judge the distance. In the end, he scraped up the car next to him real good. It was kind of funny to watch because it all happened in slow-motion for me — but to him, it must have been regular speed.

2 comments:

jordan said...

Just read about the earthquake - is everything ok in Kanazawa?

sQ*eeky said...

I survived it. My building shook for like 3 minutes, and 60% of my belongings are on the floor. My screen door cracked, but otherwise everything is fine. The place we went to make pottery was basically right next to the epicentre!

Only one person died so far, and apparently, some buildings collapsed, but Kanazawa survived a quake of the same magnitude that flattened Kobe ten years ago and caused over 6,000 casualties.

I guess, I'm lucky.