Tuesday, November 06, 2007

visiting beauty (culture tip #14)


Every once in a while, I will have a real spiritual experience. Perhaps I have been neglecting myself lately, or parhaps I have been too busy to look out into the world recently. I`m not sure, but it's been about a year since I've had a spiritual thought. Yesterday, however, I certainly had a beautiful, serene experience when I visited a temple in Nagoya. (Yes, yes, there's nothing to do in Nagoya, I know! But this temple popped out as I exited a subway and was a delightful surprise.)

Sometimes you just feel that there's something great about the place. It leads you in and you find yourself wondering around the yard, listening to chants and thinking about life. I stood on the porch for about 45 minutes, breathing incense and staring at pigeons scavenging the yard for food.

fig 12 - culture tip 14: The incense is considered purifying and people will waft it onto their bodies, and especially over sick or injured parts to help them heal.

The temple yard was surrounded by buildings because Nagoya is a rather big city, but standing on the temple porch was completely quiet and peaceful, and life seemed to go by at the slow pace of nature.

Every temple has two guardians standing watch over the entrance. Raijin, the thunder god; and Fujin, the wind god. Here there was a giant painting on Fujin on the apartment building walling off the temple yard. It's cheesy I know, but once you have been to Japan you except that the Japanese make very little distinction between cheesiness and high-culture.


I sat on the porch thinking and thinking. And under the giant lantern tied with people's wishes, I felt some deep 4th-dimensional feeling of understanding. Like time was overlapping and the I saw life ever-so-briefly through the temple's eyes. It's impossible to fit into words...But it was beautiful.

7 comments:

Tomo said...

I'm glad to hear that. Because I like this place,too. It makes me feel peaceful.

kazu said...

You have a soul like a Japanese.
no no, you are surely a Japanese!

By the way, Can you imagine who I am? delicate hint...
Unfortunately,I can not take a class on Thoursday this week.

Benjamin Tiesma said...

in most of my Japanese travels, one of the most surprising yet assured discoveries were shrines hidden in the most obvious of places.

you'd walk down a busy main street, but just down a very unassuming path... follow it... it opens up unto a grand shrine with guardian statues, large bells, epic works of art and ornamentally detailed architecture.

Its a suprise everytime, yet I know they are there waiting to be found as I walk.

Much like that building with the "cheesy art" japan has this duplicitous romance going on. Its also Japans greatest struggle... or I guess it was... old traditions vs. new world.

Captain Gavman said...

Wow. That's amazing. I think it's good for you to take a breather like that every once in a while. You certainly can't get an experience like that here.

I like the duality of the cheesy and high art side by side, it's very honest.

sQ*eeky said...

Kazu....nari!

Thank you for your message.

By the way, I think you are right! I was Japanese in a past life.

kazu said...

Correct!
1000 points!
You win!!!

Anonymous said...

do you think it can be the other way around, too? beauty coming to visit?