Tuesday, September 11, 2007

temple concert

This weekend I went to a concert inside a temple. It was my first glance of what regular life is like inside a temple. In fact, it's rather like a community centre. There were kids playing, a dog and cat walking around, as well as priests praying.

The real reason I was there was to watch my friend, Miyuki's sanshin circle play.

They started by doing a 盆踊り、a dance for the dead. Kind of in honour of the ancestors. So there were two people playing shamisen and one was playing an instrument I've never seen, which played like a violin.

The shamisen with some people dancing in the background.

This is the violin like instrument. It sounded very nice, actually — and very eastern!

Nice kimonos, eh?





Here`s the dance! The Bon Odori.

Part 2!

There were also some other performances, like this jangara, a traditional folk song.

Ok ok ok! Now for my favourite part: The sanshin! This is an okinawan instrument and it definitely sounds different from the traditional Japanese ones. The sound itself was rural, pastoral...something from a peaceful, quiet life...catching fish maybe?


Sorry for the low quality, I took all of this on my mobile phone.

2 comments:

Captain Gavman said...

Man you're really in the thick of it over there. Sometimes aren't you just too involved to realize you're there?

Good luck studying for your japanese test.

sQ*eeky said...

Thanks man! I'll need it. Only about 700 kanji left to go!!! Yay!