Wednesday, September 19, 2007

dreams

Since I`ve started studying for the test, I`ve been having these dreams filled with kanji. The strange thing is that I can`t read Roman characters in my dreams at all. It`s said to be impossible to read in your dreams because your left brain, which controls language and logic, is asleep and your right brain is in control.

However, somehow I can read chinese characters! My theory is that because they are pictographic, they read like symbols rather than letters. Seeing a kanji in your dream is like seeing a stop sign. It doesn`t represent a sound, it represents an idea. Anyway, it`s pretty weird to be able to read them in a dream.

Maybe it means my left brain isn`t taking them in as language at all!

1 comment:

Captain Gavman said...

That's pretty cool. I think there's some truth to it.

In a book I read called 'The Skin of Culture' it mentions the idea that your eye are divided by right and left, corresponding to your brain hemisphere. The direction you read stimulated one side of your brain, so western readers have a more active left hemisphere and cultures that read for right to left have a more stimulated right hemisphere. But that's just something on top of the pictographic nature of kanji....