Sunday, January 07, 2007

あけましておめでとう!

Well, I'm back in Japan. The first few days were crazy since I started working the very next day and I'm still kind of recovering from the jet lag. But I had a lot of fun in Canada with my friends and family. After Xmas, it was one big party that stretched into the New Year. oh! By the way, HAAAAAPPY NEW YEEEEEEAAAAAR!!!!

My flight over there was amazing. I had no problems at all. I didn't even get searched once — which is pretty amazing considering my record number of customs inspections, interrogations, and strip searches! I was stuck in Narita airport for about 6 hours though, and so I made a friend at the gift shop. We talked when I was buying some stuff and I later saw her sitting alone eating, so I ate some lunch with her. It was a test of my Japanese, but it went fine.

In Canada it was good to see my friends and family. I spent Xmas with the family and Kelly, the girl who made the Couch Surfing pilot episode with my sister. She was an interesting addition and fit in well. I also met up with Sheleena, one of my oldest friends, who I haven't seen for about 2 years!

from left to right: Gavin, Kelly, Julie, Sheleena

The days after Xmas leading up to New Year's Eve was basically one continuous party. I saw many friends (some only briefly) and even partied with the Tiesma crew (and Alison)! It was good to see everyone. I hung out downtown a lot with Gavin, my bro. and Mr. Matt, who's gotta be one of the craziest guys I know. Good times. I missed the city, but I must admit it was weird that there was no snow. I really wanted to go skating and snowboarding, but it was impossible. Damn you Global Warming!!!

Here's a shot of Queen Street near Gavin's apartment. The architecture is so uniquely Toronto. The only thing missing is the Streetcar!

As for doing the things on my list: I accomplished most of them. As I mentioned it was pretty much impossible to have a snowball fight or to go skating outdoors since the temperature was between 6 and 12 degrees the whole time I was there. Actually, it did snow one day, but disappeared the next day.

This is a picture of poutine for anyone who doesn't know. It's a truly Canadian food made from french fries, cheese and gravy. It's very sticky and absolutely delicious. I had 3 of them while I was there.

I had a really good time, but to tell you the truth, I kinda missed Japanese food by the end. I'm glad to be back and I feel as if I really bonded with Julie, who has kind of been an absent presence last year. I have really good feelings about this new year and I wish everyone happiness and prosperity for 2007.

No comments: