Thursday, October 04, 2012

The Circulatory System

So the image I want to work with is the circulatory system. I love the idea of the heart as a pump. Haloed around the pump are the lungs.




Here you can see the connections from the veins and arteries to capillaries. In my mind I see a wing. I'm really not sure why, but I'm a sucker for bending metals. These are mostly copper plate and guitar strings.

Detail of capillaries

I get a feeling this is going to be a heavy painting. with a bit more relief than any of the other resin cast paintings I've done in the past.




Here it is, sitting on the table waiting for its next coating. I always want to do it so soon, but this time I have to wait until my copper patina experiment has worked out.


The Patina

I am experimenting with different acids and oxidizing agents to see if I can give this copper plate a greenish-blue patina. Basically I'm trying to force the process of weathering which turns copper that nice Statue-of-Liberty colour into an overnight event. The right side is muriatic acid, into which the piece was dipped. It looks cleaner than the original, but maybe it takes some time.

The rest of the plate is a sprayed on agent I made from vinegar, salt and ammonia. (This is basically a medieval recipe for making malachite, a blueish tone) The mixture smells terrible, and literally put me out of the house for a few minutes as it vented, but it is looking better than the straight up acid. I'll check tomorrow and see if it is feasible or appropriate to weather the copper a bit.

No comments: