Friday, October 05, 2012

CuO3

The Copper Patina Experiment



It's been about 24 hours since I sprayed the disgusting and incredibly noxious vinegar-ammonia solution onto the copper to test. And It looks like the medieval formula beats out modern chemistry. The Muriatic Acid, a pool cleaning chemical you can buy at any hardware store, has actually dissolved the top layer of copper before it started oxidizing, leaving it much cleaner looking at first, then kind of discoloured and blackish. That black patina is actually a different kind of rust happening on the copper—one that I want to avoid. The black oxide is what happens on pennies when you touch one with your grubby ball-scratching fingers.



What I want is the verdigris, the green tint. Although I now know it is possible, I have decided to avoid using a weathered copper for this painting in particular. I want the heart as shiny as possible. Next time I will try a nail polish resist with the patina I made. You could do some interesting stuff!

I poured the 2nd layer and now I'm waiting for it to cure.

No comments: