Friday, June 22, 2007

getting the ball rolling...again

Well, I've been kinda lazy about writing recently. So I thought I'd get the ball rolling again...so to speak. Today is the beginning of rainy season. If I look out the window, the atmosphere is so misty that is looks like a Japanese screen painting with the clouds overlapping the scene here and there.

To tell you the truth, I like the rainy season. Rain is good for the soul. I remember growing up in the Afrikan savanna, when the occasional rainstorm would seemingly wake up life. Animals would dance, plants would open-up thankfully, and the earth would smell so clean — the everyday hovering dusts, beaten to the ground. If Afrika is a world of soil, Japan is most definitely a world of water. Life here is so dependent on water. Not just because they are an island culture either. I mean, Britain is an island and their culture isn't nearly so obsessed with water.

I'd say that 80-90% of Japanese food comes from the sea. The most important part of daily life here is the bath, which probably comes from having so many volcanic hot springs around. And the Japanese language itself sounds like it developed in the rainy season. The た, ち, つ, て, とs (ta, chi, tsu, te, to)s sound like raindrops.

Three cheers for the rainy season!!!

No comments: