Wednesday, November 08, 2006

prophecy?????

This morning while showering amidst the biggest windstorm I've ever witnessed, I had the most uncanny premonition. (Yes, my screen door was torn from my balcony by winds at 8:30am this morning and tossed, like a frisbee, 5 floors down onto a parking lot nearby. The wind was intense.) I stood in my bathroom and had this moment where I pictured a tornado in Japan. I remember clearly thinking: "Wouldn't that be absurd? A tornado in Japan?"

Anyways, the image was so starkly clear and seemed dreamlike. Not really destructive, but very realistic. Today, I got home and checked the news...And get this! There was a tornado in Hokkaido. The most deadly in Japan yet, killing 9 people. Now just a word of note, tornados in Japan are EXTREMELY rare and hardly kill anyone. I actually have a class where I have to teach people about natural disasters and the tornado is the one I have to explain the most frequently. A surprising amount of people don't have any idea what they are!

I thought I'd share that with you all. It was a weird premonition I had, like a waking dream...
Here's the BBC article

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

First of all, I'm glad that you weren't hurt!!
but...
*cringe*
Ok, I tried not to say anything... but... I have to:

What I think you have here is "hindsight"...

Your screen door got blown off five floors? The BIGGEST winds you've EVER witnessed? THEN you think maybe there's a TORNADO in Japan?! Isn't that like missing your period for 2 months and then going, "Hey, maybe I'm pregnant!" Or not studying for an exam until the night before and thinking, "Hey, I think I'm going to fail this exam!" Or someone not returning your phone calls for a week and going, "Hey, I have this strange feeling that he's going to break up with me!" And then he DOES! *do-do-do-do*

LOL

Non? Ok... I'm wrong. You're the golden ratio, after all! :)

So, did you think it was a tornado before or after the door blew off? This is an important detail!

"Hey! Pick my stockin--- I mean, lottery numbers!"

ps--Britney and K-Fed broke up. Did you see that one coming, too? (hey-oh)

sQ*eeky said...

e,

Firstly, the tornado occured more than a 18 hour train ride away from Kanazawa (about 1000km away on a different island).

Secondly, the tornado occured at least 5 hours after I had my vision, when the storm had already died down in Kanazawa.

Thirdly, those kinds of winds are normal in Japan, especially during typhoons, but Kanazawa is relatively untouched by typhoons, so they were some of the strongest winds I have ever seen. But still nothing like a tornado.

Now, to answer your questions:

I imagined the tornado before my door blew off.

And I had no idea about Britney and K-dawg...or whatever he's called. But I read about it today just before you told me.

Anonymous said...

Sorry, Slim. I believe you. Mazel Tof on the premenition! I was hit by the jerk stick yesterday. Sorry. I hope your next prophecy is a happy one!