Monday, April 07, 2008

Sakura

'Hanami' is the custom of going cherry blossom viewing. This is an important part of all Japanese people's lives. The cherry blossoms are so fragile and they arrive spontaneously and disappear within a week or two. During this time schools, businesses and friends have cherry blossom viewing parties. It is against the backdrop of the pale pink sakura that people meet their new schoolmates, co-workers, as well as say goodbye to old friends. Although they fall off the trees in a matter of days, the beauty of the blossoms never fade. I mean, I have seen the same scene for 3 years now and I have never gotten sick of it. I still take the same pictures every year! And you may never be able to show the true beauty in a photograph, but still somehow you can't stop taking pictures. This year I took some new pictures, as well as some of the same ones as before. And I too have said goodbye to many students under the pink trees. (Bye bye Chizuko! I'll miss you!)

Along one of the many canals in Kanazawa. I think this one used to be part of the castle moat.

This is the first tree to open in Kanazawa every year. It is part of a private garden in of an old samurai house.

An old favourite.

Sunset at the castle

Night time in the park looks like you are walking through the milky way, especially if the blossoms are reflected in the black water.

Relaxing along the Sai river. Some pigeons were also enjoying the cherry blossoms.

A road with a sakura canopy.

5 comments:

Captain Gavman said...

Those are some really nice pictures. I really enjoy the one with the castle at sunsent - it almost looks edible.

Anonymous said...

my favourite is the canopy along the road. there are blossoms here in paris, but you have to be existentialist about them. you have to stare at them and kind of scowl, thinking, "oui, vous etes ici. mais en quelque jours..." you will disappear!

c'est la vie, non? la vie et la mort, toujours melanges.

my french le stinks.

sQ*eeky said...

haha! Thanks for the postcard, erin.

My french est aussi devenu craptacular ces jours...

Benjamin Tiesma said...

sakura sakura!

I've been mulling over a trip in the fall maybe. go down to okinawa, etc. but seeing sakura... maybe I should return in the spring.

wanna travel the pacific rim?

anyways, I love the dreamy and cavalier seated graeme.

Anonymous said...

こんにちは、グレム先生!
私の名前を見つけて、びっくりしました!!
うれしかったです~~!

本当にお世話になりました。
ありがとうございました。

先生のブログで、金沢の美しい桜を、たくさん見られて、うれしかったです!

横浜でも、がんばります!